Friday 22 February 2013

Skybird


The Wetlands (www.wwt.barnes.org)  have started a book corner and instinctively I reached out to search for ….. I don’t quite know what.  What do we look for when we see a pile of apparently random books.  Instant wisdom?  Sudden expertise, Beauty, Romance, Advice or Adventure?

I seized on probably the only Dick Francis that I haven’t read, published in 1974 with the title of Knock Down, hardback too, and only 50p.  Next I picked up Birds Of Heath & Marshland by O. Stepanek with beautiful illustrations by E. Demartini.  Originally published in Czechoslovakia, translated by A. Denesova and with the price tag of £3 I could not leave it behind.  Splendid booty!

I paused in the Car Park before prompting Daisy to jump into the car, and looked up.  The icy air was a piercing blue and I saw what to me was a phoenix rising with pale pink outstretched neck and wide wings.  A sort of flying Loch Ness Monster?  Time I got my eyes tested.  I’m getting too fanciful.  But it was fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment