Friday 18 January 2013

Methods & Materials

In the process of producing what my history client wanted, I discovered that acrylics work really well on hand-made paper.  I have been working intermittently with Khadi paper (www.khadi.com made from recycled cotton T-shirts from India ) after participating in a Hazel Soan workshop (www.hazelsoan.com).


Initially I found it an impossible challenge requiring a contradictory brush stroke approach. I left it strictly alone for six months, then cautiously returned and found my way using watercolour and loved it!

Suddenly the challenging nature of the rough surface worked to my advantage and allowed me to leave areas unpainted for reflected light – see these Red-Breasted Geese from drawn initially at the Wetland Centre, Barnes (www.wwt.org.uk)


No comments:

Post a Comment